Learn the Various Causes and Treatments of Joint Pain
Like machines, the human body also relies heavily on joints for mobility. Our bodies have hips, knees, shoulders, and elbows joints. Due to their importance, a slight injury could cause you a lot of pain, while a severe one could cause you mobility issues or hinder you from carrying out your daily activities. Book an appointment with a Studio City joint pain specialist if you have an injury or illness that’s causing you problems. Below is everything you need to know about joint pain:
What causes joint pain?
- Injury: The majority of patients seek treatment of joint pain due to injuries. An impact or excessive use could cause a strain, sprain, or joint fracture. These injuries are most common to people who engage in various sports such as soccer and basketball. The most well-known injury is the damage of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).
- Infection: Specific virus infections such as the hepatitis C virus (HCV) could cause joint pain as one of their symptoms. People with this virus could also have rheumatic diseases, which further damages joints causing pain and inflammation.
- Diseases: Some diseases cause joint pain. For example, patients with Lupus could experience muscle and joint pain. For most of these patients, joint pain is usually among the first symptoms of lupus. People develop lupus when the immune system attacks healthy tissue because it has become hyperactive.
- Arthritis: Arthritis is a medical condition that causes inflammation and stiffness of joints. As a result, people living with this condition experience joint pain as a symptom. The types of arthritis include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and septic arthritis. The cause varies from one type to another. For example, osteoarthritis is caused by loss of cartilage in joints, while rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition.
Treatment of joint pain
The doctor performs a full medical examination and looks at past medical records to determine the cause of joint pain. They may also ask the patients further questions to get more information. Depending on the severity and the condition of the patient, the doctor recommends the best form of treatment. The various options include:
- Physical therapy: Exercise is important to reduce pain and promote healing. The doctor works with the patient to safely ensure they perform the right exercises, not to cause further damage.
- Heat and ice: The doctor may recommend using ice or warm water over the injured area to reduce inflammation and alleviate pain. It is essential to seek treatment first because some conditions may require advanced treatment.
- Chiropractic adjustment: Chiropractors are qualified physicians who realign your spine to restore nerve functionality and improve blood flow. In turn, this reduces pain in various parts of the body and aids in healing.
- Medications and surgery: The doctor may prescribe pain-relieving drugs or opt to remove accumulated fluid in the injured area. Severe conditions may require surgery to replace the joint.
You should seek medical treatment if you experience joint pain for more than three days, even after using home remedies. Additionally, you may require treatment if the joint is swollen, warm, or tender. Book an appointment today with Pain Relief Center Studio City for faster pain reduction and healing.