Man’s Death Leads To Discovery of New Virus in Kansas, CDC Reports
Named the Bourbon virus after the county where the patient lived, the virus is likely spread by tick or insect bites, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
The county where the patient lives, the virus probably spread through insect bites.
The patient suffered these bites working on his property in the spring of 2014 the CDC said in an article published in the agency’s “Infectious Diseases” journal.
Symptoms that occurred in the patient were fever, fatigue, rash, headache, nausea, vomiting. Became ill within two days and already the third day he was admitted to the clinic. He died of a heart attack 11 days after the bites of the insects the CDC said.
While the man was hospitalized, test results for many infectious diseases came back negative. A blood sample was sent to the CDC, which determined a new virus had been discovered.
According to CDC, the virus was transferred by ticks and other insects, as prevention should protect them with various preparations, wearing long sleeves and pants, not to go into huge forest parts if it is unnecessarily.
The Bourbon virus is part of a group of viruses linked to tick or insect bites in Europe, Asia and Africa, the CDC said.
This is the first time a virus in this group, known as thogotoviruses, has been known to cause illness in the United States.