Treatment of Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Disorder
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is responsible for movements when chewing, talking, or swallowing. A disorder occurs when the muscles and joints suffer an injury or inflammation due to an existing medical condition. When one or two parts fail to function properly, you have difficulties performing usually chewing and talking activities. Book an appointment today with a Bellevue TMJ specialist for treatment if you are experiencing pain or stiffness. Here is additional information regarding TMJ disorders.
What is TMJ disorder?
The TMJ is a complex system involving various joints, bones, and muscles. Any problem that hinders the functioning of this system causes a disorder. These disorders are classified into:
- Degenerative disease: This disorder occurs as a result of existing medical conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- Myofascial pain: It is the most common disorder that affects TMJ. Patients experience pain and discomfort in the muscles and tissue that control their shoulder, neck, and jaw function.
- Internal derangement: This disorder results from a displacement of the disk or a dislocated jaw in the TMJ. The displaced disk is usually the cartilage between the skull and the jawbone that serves as a cushion.
What are the causes and symptoms of TMJ disorders?
TMJ disorders occur if there is a problem with any part that supports movement in the joint. It could develop after:
- The disk moves out or erodes from its original position of alignment.
- The cartilage gets damaged by a health condition like arthritis.
- The joint or tissues suffer an injury from an external impact.
Everyone is at risk of developing these conditions. However, the chances are high if you have any of the following:
- Jaw injury
- Long term condition of teeth clenching or grinding.
- Some types of arthritis such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Any other connective tissue disease that affects TMJ.
Patients with TMJ disorders experience headaches, limited mouth motions, pain behind the eyes, jaw discomfort, dizziness, and numbness affecting the fingers. It is important to seek immediate medical attention as it can be difficult to determine whether the symptoms are from another severe condition.
Treatment options of TMJ disorders
When you visit a hospital for treatment, the doctor will first need to evaluate your condition for a proper diagnosis. Treatment depends on your age, medical history or current condition, ability to handle various medications, and your opinion. Treatment options include:
- Medications: Doctors may recommend muscle relaxants, tricyclic antidepressants, or pain relievers, depending on your current condition.
- Therapies: Apart from using drugs to manage TMJ disorders, the doctor may also opt to use counseling, mouth guards, or physical therapy to treat such conditions. Exercises are essential to strengthen muscles, while counseling helps patients avoid anything that could aggravate their pain.
- Surgical options: Some conditions can only be managed using injections and surgical procedures. Open surgery is used as a last option when all other treatments fail.
You should seek immediate medical treatment when you experience pain and stiffness in your jaws. The pain could be a TMJ disorder or could be caused by another severe condition. Depending on the factors discussed above, the doctor will determine the suitable treatment option. Book an appointment online with EZ Dental Clinic.http://makeyourlifehealthier.com/treatment-of-temporomandibular-joint-tmj-disorder/https://i2.wp.com/makeyourlifehealthier.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Treatment-of-Temporomandibular-Joint-TMJ-Disorder.jpg?fit=615%2C410https://i2.wp.com/makeyourlifehealthier.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Treatment-of-Temporomandibular-Joint-TMJ-Disorder.jpg?resize=400%2C400HealthRecipesarthritis,Bellevue,cartilage,clenching,degenerative,derangement,disease,disk,disorder,external,grinding,impact,injury,internal,jaw,joint,long,medications,myofacial,options,osteoarthritis,pain,rheumatoid,surgical,temporomandibular,term,therapies,tissue,TMJ,treatment